- Be familiar with and abide by all NAMLE bylaws and policies, including your fiduciary responsibilities.
- Act in the best interest of the organization, including oversight of NAMLE’s finances.
- Serve for a full two-year term.
- Actively support the financial development of NAMLE, through funder relations, grant writing, soliciting donations from friends and family, and partnership development.
- Commit to personally donate to NAMLE as one of the primary philanthropic causes you support. Board members are encouraged to contribute $1,500 annually, in either monthly installments or in total at the beginning of the fiscal year.
- Open your network of contacts and work with Executive Director for board recruitment, potential sponsorship, or organizational partnerships for NAMLE.
- Actively participate, achieve annual goals, and be held accountable in minimum one NAMLE board committee. In the potential second term board members will be asked to take a leadership role in committees and board governance.
- Attend and participate in all monthly board meetings via conference call, and other meetings as deemed necessary to carry out NAMLE’s mission. (Meeting dates and times are coordinated with all board members.)
- Attend the annual board retreat. (Held on Friday/Saturday in January. Location varies.)
- Contribute to your region’s Media Literacy Week efforts. If a National event is in your region, attend. Board members will be asked to take a leadership role in event planning.
- Attend and contribute to Biennial Conference program efforts and coordination. Board members will be asked to take a leadership role in conference planning.
- Contribute to special projects/events that arise in off years of the conference.
- Cover own expenses for retreat and conference (or through an employer). In case of need and with prior approval, board members may be reimbursed for expenses.
- Actively work to ensure that the diversity of NAMLE membership reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
- Promote the organization to colleagues, friends, and a wide range of stakeholders.
- Represent the organization at non-NAMLE events, conferences, or meetings.
- Approach the work of the organization in a spirit of cooperation, creativity, collegiality, integrity, and respect.
Interested in nominating someone or yourself for board service? Simply fill out this form.
The board is happy to discuss board service further with interested candidates.