Officially launched in the summer of 2005 at the National Media Education Conference in San Francisco, the Grad Student Caucus brought together a diverse array of students from universities all across the country. We went out to dinner, shared stories, had a few laughs, and decided that, together, we would form a caucus to pool our resources and support each other.
Who we Are
Today we are an all-volunteer organization of graduate students specifically designed to serve the particular needs of a new generation of emerging media literacy scholars. As an official caucus of the Alliance for a Media Literate America, we are striving to create an online community that can help bridge the vast geography separating our respective institutions through information sharing, career development, and good old-fashioned networking. In 2007, we gathered again at the National Media Education Conference in St. Louis. Several Graduate Caucus members presented at the conference-including an all-grad student panel!
What we Do
We are a grassroots, student-led organization dedicated to nurturing both our short-term academic pursuits and our long-term career aspirations. We are, in short, a support group. We invite you to visit the Grad Caucus website for a variety of resources including:
- Research Reading Room – an area to post published, or just written papers on all aspects of media literacy.
- Grad School Profiles – a database of 21 media-literacy-friendly graduate departments around the country that profiles supportive faculty, related research, and helpful contacts on the ground.
- Collaboration – a page for the compilation of literature reviews, exchanging drafts, and facilitating co-presenting at conferences and co-publishing in journals.
To join the caucus, you must:
- Be an active (dues-paying) member of NAMLE
- Be a prospective or current graduate student (international students welcome!)
When your NAMLE membership is processed, just send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information and a request to join the caucus. The membership chair will respond with further details.
Once you are a member, you will have your profile posted on the Graduate Caucus Web page, receive bi-monthly newsletters, and network with other graduate students. Several members have collaborated on panels and presentations at academic conferences. We look forward to connecting with all graduate students working in the media literacy education field.
- Tina Peterson, Temple University (Current Caucus Leader)
- Kelly Mendoza, Temple University (Past Caucus Leader)
- Paul Mihailidis, Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland (Past Caucus Leader)
- Chris Boulton, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, (Founder of Grad Caucus)
“NAMLE‘s Grad Caucus has provided me with networking, support, and resources that, as a grad student, have been so valuable to me. And the best part is – I’ve made great friends with future colleagues!”
–Kelly Mendoza, Doctoral Student, Temple University