The Journal of Media Literacy Education is an online interdisciplinary journal that supports the development of research, scholarship and the pedagogy of media literacy education.
The journal provides a forum for established and emerging scholars, media professionals and educational practitioners in and out of schools. As an extended conceptualization of literacy, media literacy education helps individuals of all ages develop habits of inquiry and skills of expression needed to become critical thinkers, effective communications and active citizens in a world where mass media, popular culture and digital technologies play an important role for individuals and society.
JMLE Co-Editors: Renee Hobbs & Amy Petersen Jensen
Renee is a Professor at Temple University School of Communication and Theater, where she founded the Media Education Lab. Renee is considered a pioneer in the field and was one of the four co-founders of the organization that became the Alliance for a Media Literate America (now NAMLE). Renee is the author of Reading the Media: Media Literacy In High School English (Teachers College Press), the first empirical study of media literacy’s impact on academic achievement. She has published more than two dozen scholarly articles in top journals in the fields of communication (Journal of Communication), public health (Health Education Research) and literacy education (Reading Research Quarterly) and is widely recognized as a leading scholar in the field.
Amy is an Associate Professor in the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University, where she coordinates the undergraduate Theatre and Media Education Program as well as the Media Education Masters Degree. Jensen authored Theatre in a Media Culture: Production, Performance and Perception Since 1970 (McFarland 2007) and has presented widely on topics such as media literacy, theatre literacy and interdisciplinary content- area literacy collaborations. Amy is the First Vice President of NAMLE and is responsible for programs and publications.
Editorial Board Members
- Donna E. Alvermann, PhD, University of Georgia
- Richard Beach, PhD, University of Minnesota
- Lynda Bergsma, PhD, University of Arizona
- David Bruce, PhD, University at Buffalo SUNY
- Kara Clayton, Thurston High School
- William Costanzo, PhD, Westchester Community College
- Rhys Daunic, MA, The Media Spot
- Damiano Felini, PhD, University of Parma, Italy
- Julie Frechette, PhD, Worcester State College
- Petra Hesse, PhD, Wheelock College
- Paul Mihailidis, PhD, Hofstra University
- Jason Mittell, PhD, Middlebury College
- Rose Pacatte, M.Ed, Pauline Center for Media Studies
- Brian Primack, MD, EdM, MS, University of Pittsburgh
- Faith Rogow, PhD, Insighters Educational Consulting
- Erica Scharrer, PhD, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Sharon Sellers-Clark, PhD, Wayne State University
- Tony Streit, Education Development Center
- Bronwyn T. Williams, PhD, University of Louisville
- Heidi Whitus, MFA, Communication Arts High School
Category: JMLE Articles & Blog